Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Coming up for AIR

Whew - it has been a very long time since I have worked this many hours for so long a stretch. It is absolutely insane. One thing is really clear - even though I have been missing Tom a great deal this week - I have healed and grown in the last 21 months.

This particular client I am working with is in a huge crisis, with money, with programs, with morale, with just about everything. This situation is not about bad people, it is about organizational life cycle. However, it is really stressful. Folks know there will be lay-offs after the assessment - folks know that the cash position of the organization is poor - it is so hard for people to work in an environment of uncertainty and change. It requires leading from the heart and making decisions from your head. I can handle the ups and downs - I can remain enthusiastic and give others hope because I see the potential and opportunities that reside along with the chaos. That's what being a strength-based capacity building consultant is all about.

Even a couple of months ago I couldn't have handled the stress and crisis and kept walking through - so here I am healing, moving forward, and being able to do something again that I am good at and that I love so much. Assisting others to breathe new life into mission and organizational life. I am blessed.

And the day came
when the risk it took to remain tight
inside the bud
was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom.

Anaïs Nin

3 comments:

  1. is that how you look now in the photo ? my blog "chelseaflowers.blogspot.com" old guy who lives near Manchester england.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a great verse from her. I like her words and have a line from her under my computer monitor (Dreams are necessary to life). I will save those to put above me where I stash a few lines I want to think about daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of "The Diary of Anais Nin." You have encouraged me to get it out and reread.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete