Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rest in Peace

My dear, dear Aunt Rosemary died this morning. She was my only Aunt and one of those people who make an indelible impression on your entire life. She was a women of her generation. She married my Uncle at age 15 just before he shipped out in the Navy for duty in WWII. There are photos of the two of them looking so young - he in his uniform, she in a gathered skirt and white blouse - arms around one another. She adored him and spent her life serving him. A woman of her time.

Auntie had four daughters and worked so hard - she never complained and so many, many people took her for granted. She was the patient rock of the family. She was the constant - the North Star. It wasn't until she began to decline into what was thought to be dementia that her husband began to pay much attention.

I feel so fortunate. The first time I went to Seattle for a visit - V took me to visit my Auntie and we had time to bask in one another, to sit together and laugh and hug and love. I brought tons of food and we shared a meal. Her dear voice and smile rests in my heart and soul.

Recently, it was discovered that Auntie did not have dementia but rather had been having mini-strokes that were robbing her of her capacity. She has been in skilled nursing care for the past month and finally just let go. The last time I spoke to her about a month ago - she said many times how much she loves me and how she always believed in me and how she will always love me. I feel the same. Auntie, I send my love and gratitude across eternity.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry Suzann. My condolences to you and your family! So many good-byes this year. For me and for you.
    I will say a prayer of love for you and for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad you had the time to spend with your aunt when you were in the pacific NW - good memories get us through the sadness of loss and remind us that our loved ones live on in us.

    i am sorry for your loss, suzann. she sounds like a woman who cared about you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Rosemary...my condolences Suzann. How lucky you were to have spent some time with here not long ago. That certainly mattered a lot to you...and to her.

    I hope you are feeling much better now too sweetie from when you were sick a few days ago.

    I hope you have a great weekend... Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. How special that you got to hear from Auntie that she loved you. That is a memory to treasure, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friend,
    some people do make footprints in our lifes stronger than others. It seems obvious your auntie that just passed away did that. And visa verca.
    That's a great gift to keep in your memories.
    Something that never ever can be removed from you.
    We both know all about "such things".
    With personal, hard experiences. But we are sustainable. Yeah?

    btw. My right big toe is not healed. 4 doctores have never seen anything alike. New tests to day.
    They are searching for the reason.
    Some bloodtests indicated Podagra.
    But, they say: It can't be. When we look at it.
    Well, let's wait and see. New test results next Thursday - if not worse in the meantime. I tell you, it's very annoying. Walking along like an oldie is not me at all.

    If you are at home during the weekend, may I call?

    ReplyDelete