Monday, September 28, 2009

Summer's End



The summer went by so rapidly. My consulting assignment was very demanding and now it is about done. The new Executive started her work a week ago and I am only helping to orient and make a smooth transition for everyone.

My dearest, best friend J arrived with her husband in late August. The first day she was here she slipped and fell and broke her wrist, which required surgery. She stayed an extra nearly two weeks to recuperate and her husband went home. My friend V left the end of August and is home packing to move to Minnesota. Big changes ahead my darling blog buddies.


As you can see from my photos - one of things I promised to myself and delivered on this summer was preserving food for the winter. I have canned raspberry jam, ginger peach jam, crab apple jelly, dilled green beans, pickled beets, whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sauerkraut and made frozen pesto. Applesauce and apple butter are on the schedule for next weekend. It is great to capture the bounty of summer's goodness and look forward to eating it next winter.

I know I have been MIA but I am back and have lots of new things on my horizon. I hope you are enjoying these last days of summer as Autumn arrives - today is very blustery and even I little chilly - I started the wood pellet stove this morning to take the chill off and it is so cozy and pretty.

Take care - a lot more to come.....


5 comments:

  1. hope you are feeling better. great shots of your domesticity and successful food preservation. wish our pantry looked like yours.

    there must be exciting anticipation of this new life ahead. i look foward to some great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been a busy lady Suzann. Your preserves look wonderful...I wish I was so inclined to these things. You'll certainly enjoy the fruits of your labors over the winter. I'm sorry about your best friend, J's, broken wrist...I'm sure that put a little damper on her visit with you.

    Looks like there really are some BIG changes ahead for you sweetie...looking forward to hearing all about V and everything in your posts...sounds wonderful. Much love to you sweetness.... ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzann,
    first of all, I was very sorry to hear about what happened to your old friend J. I remember the both of you so well from August last year, and J's hubby, you remember how sceptical he was when you invited a blogger friend+ But after some very few hours he told me:
    "I feel we have been known since ever."
    You and J are both wonderful people and the right kind of woman - for our time.

    Then, and this is serious:
    Remember, you told me, you wanted a new life. I think you now are very close to realize since you have finnished the chalenges you have had for many months now.
    And now, when it seems you and V seems to have come to an agreement - a very positive one:
    Come to Europe in 2010. And stay the second week of August in Oslo.
    I'll find room for you, for free, if you will accept stayng with other interantional bloggers in the same appartement. Hope you will.

    Hope V will not be jeulous when I write: I miss you.
    In fact: V should be very proud.

    ---
    Also, can you send hugs from me to your great friends in FL?
    Hope J is recovered. and J still plays Wii

    hugs from across miles and Ocean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! This all looks so good. You have been busy. And won't it all taste even better when the snow flies, the temperature drops and you have someone special there with whom to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JUst a happy news:
    My daughter Ingelin, expecting her first baby in 5 - 15 days from now:

    Have yoy home made Jam?

    Yes, I want I want.

    well, she got several for her BD

    ReplyDelete